Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Travel Tuesday - Pittsburgh

I mentioned in a recent post that I traveled to Pittsburgh in the fall with my father and my twelve year old son for a genealogy research and family history trip. It was my son's first visit to Pittsburgh and first research trip. He was bitten by the genealogy bug a year or so ago and had mostly been searching through my husband's tree. Before we left, he did a lot of searching for my great-great grandfather to pull together some possible leads (more on him in another post).

My son enjoyed our time at the Pennsylvania Department of the Carnegie Library, the Allegheny County Courthouse, and especially our quick visit with three sisters that lived on the same street as my father when he was a child. Listening to the stories that they shared was priceless!


Here are my father and son at the gravesite of my great-grandfather Frank Speck in Monessen, PA. Grandview Cemetery is on the side of a hill overlooking the Monongahela River, which you can see in the background. It was a beautiful fall day during a wonderful weekend where my son heard lots of stories from my father about his family and growing up in the Pittsburgh area.


Here is a picture that was found with the family photos of Franks tombstone. He died in 1940, so this was probably taken in the early 1940's. More posts to come about our finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment